Sunday, August 31, 2014

Not a typical Sunday

Today we visited Kew Gardens and Wimbledon. Kew Gardens was one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen. We arrived right at opening and spent an hour and a half wandering the gardens on our own. We also took an hour led tour which was very interesting and Charlie was able to share a memory with the guide about a catalpa tree that was planted by his grandfather. The catalpa tree attracts caterpillars which are used for fish bait. The gardens had a beautiful goldfish pond. I said to the fish, "If I had food, I would feed you." To which Charlie said, "Well, if I had grease, I would eat you." He is always good for a laugh.

We traveled to Wimbledon by tube, had lunch at Pizza Express, and then went on to the All England Lawn and Tennis Club. Before I move on to Wimbledon, let me assure you Pizza Express is nothing like any pizza place at home. We got salads and they were big, fresh, and well prepared.

At Wimbledon we saw Court 1, Center Court, and a number of the outside courts. There were members of the All England Lawn, Tennis and Croquet Club playing a tournament. We were not able to photograph anyone on court.  We saw the press room, the room where player interviews are held, the players restaurant, and much more. The Museum was really good.

Just in case you are not aware, the dates for next year's Wimbledon will be a week later. They are moving the dates in hopes of preventing player injury. Most players finish the French Open which is played on clay before arriving in London where they play on grass. Changing the date gives players a chance to rest and practice before Wimbledon starts.

We have one more day in London. I can't imagine it getting any better.






blpearce@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment